Tuesday 27 March 2012

Life in Plastic - It's Fantastic!

So here I am, sitting in the library, reading articles that I won’t be able to recall days from now, staring out at that typical study month weather, wishing to God June would just hurry up already. 

A friend recently wrote a college paper on Mattel.Inc which got me thinking how much of a pretty sweet deal Barbie had going on back in the day.


Think about it. She didn’t have to work; had a closet full of pretty outfits; a beach-house; a mansion;  Handsome Ken was all over her like a hot rash and she had a hot pink, open-top Jeep for crying out loud!



She had huge boobs, natural blond hair, a tiny waist, and did I mention the clothes?!






 A recent tweet from @LifeOfABarbie says it all really...



Granted, she couldn’t bend her elbows or knees. Also, maybe her figure might not look so good in real life. 




And then again, she did go through some "different" styles....


Black Canary Barbie
a.k.a. Dominatrix Barbie


 ....and was subject to several of our home "hairdressing experiments."



Nevertheless, she was a trooper - sticking by her best friend Midge through the pregnancy controversy,


Midge - The original teen mom


and younger sister Skipper, when her boobs grew in seconds by "spinning a dial embedded in her back."



Growing up Skipper -
WTF??


 In the end, she's 50 years old and she still looks like this.

50th Anniversary Barbie

Girl must be doing something right!





So I say screw final year exams, I'm off to the beach!


Who's with me??







17 comments:

  1. Ha brilliant!! My barbies, god love them, hade terrible home cut hair styles and a few tattoos curtesy of my brother. dont forget about shelly.. was she the baby sister??

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really did destroy them didn't we?! Highlighter coloured in hair was also a favourite of ours, poor dolls.
    Oh totally forgot about Shelly! To be honest I had to Google Skipper,had totally forgotten who she was,haha....And Cindy - we hated that b***ch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha loving the picture of you! Also, I am so disturbed by growing up skipper... Awww good ole barbies, they gave me hours of enjoyment. I was a particular fan of Tod and Stacey, Barbies teenage twin brother and sister. Seriously, was Barbie living in some sort of foster home??.... she had brothers and sisters popping up everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha seriously, very true!!There was a serious lack of parent supervision iswell...how old was Barbie even supposed to be??

      Delete
  4. Remember that pearl one that came with the ring that used to change colour in water... At the time is was pretty fascinating but now I haven doubts about how entertaining it would be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't remember that now but you're so right, the things we'd spend hours playing with when we were younger is ridiculous!haha

      Delete
  5. I remember pregnant midge, seriously weird!Like push her tummy and the baby pops out, how many kids did that to pregnant women after?! Loving the picture of you in the open top car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha that image is both terrifying and hilarious, poor pregnant women, you'd think they have enough going on!...Thanks, I was born for that open top car!

      Delete
  6. Hah love it! my poor lil barbie never had any hair!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, everytime I'd cut it I'd forget that Barbie hair doesn't grow like ours...bad times!

      Delete
  7. Haha brilliant!! This is the best blog ive read in a long time, Have fun at the beach! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!Wish the weather stayed as sunny as it was last week, I miss the beach!!

      Delete
  8. Great Blog.. I loved my barbies so much.. i'm sure they even slept in my bed with me at some stage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!Terribly uncomfortable though, a teddy bear or something would have been a better option in hindsight

      Delete
  9. Dead right hitting the beach, this is probably Ireland's summer so why not!

    That growing up skipper doll is slightly controversial! Gota love barbie and ken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the weathers already crap!Shortest summer ever!
      Love them - IT couple of the last fifty years for sure ;)

      Delete
  10. Hahaha seriously creepy pregnant barbie. Action man was never pregnant! I never knew what it was like to have a doll give birth. Didn't even have action man really :P

    ReplyDelete